Whether you’re trying a route on the south face of Denali or heading into the Karakoram, when conditions dictate a need for additional gear or an overnight kit, the Patagonia Ascensionist 40 Litre backpack expands to handle the load.
For moving fast up a new (for you) route in far-off ranges like the Karakoram, this function-driven pack carries the loads of a multiday ascent without interfering with efficient movement. It features an integrated, asymmetrical spindrift collar that opens wide and closes in a single motion for fast packing. The high-density, foam back panel gives the pack structure and helps to support heavy loads but can be removed for lightweight pursuits. Ergonomic shoulder straps (with load lifters) match your torso’s contours for 24-hour comfort, and the padded hip belt is removable when you prefer a simple webbing belt. Two rows of exterior daisy chains provide lashing options for a rope, helmet or pad. Other details include compression straps to carry skis and cinch down loads, an asymmetric profile for elbow clearance and a zippered pocket on the lid for quick access to small essentials. Made from lightweight yet durable 5.5-oz 210-denier CORDURA® 86% nylon/14% polyester with a polyurethane coating.
Features and Specifications
- Lightweight, bomber, tear- and abrasion-resistant CORDURA® nylon/polyester ripstop
- Asymmetrical spindrift collar opens wide for easy packing; drawcord simultaneously cinches collar and closes lid for a secure seal
- High-density foam back panel gives pack structure and helps to support heavy loads, but can be removed for lightweight pursuits
- Padded hip belt can be removed to create a simple webbing hip belt
- Ice-axe carry system accommodates a wide assortment of axes
- Daisy chains provide lashing options; compression straps on sides help manage different-sized loads; zippered pocket on lid offers easy access to small items
- Available in two sizes: S/M, L/XL
- Weight: 920 g (2 lbs)
- Materials: 5.5-oz 210-denier CORDURA® 86% nylon/14% polyester ripstop with a polyurethane coating
Measuring Your Torso To Determine Your Pack Size
Take a couple of minutes to accurately measure sizing will yield the best fitting pack possible. Follow these 3 easy steps:
1. Find the Iliac crest (the top of the hip bone)
2. Find the C7 Vertebra (the largest bump at the base of your neck)
3. Measure from the C7 down along the spine to where it intersects with the Iliac Crest. Use the table below to then determine your correct pack size.
Patagonia Technical Backpack Sizing Table
|Size Range||Suit Torso Length||Suit Waist|
|Small / Medium||16"- 19"||28"- 36"|
|Large / Extra Large||19"- 22"||32"- 42"|